The Holy Cross Statue
The statue of Jesus with his cross has been a significant landmark of the College campus since 1940. Few students have not had their photo taken with the statue or in its shadow. Here are its details as reported in the College magazine of 1940.
For some years the Brothers were desirous of securing a suitable religious symbol or a statue for the approach of the College grounds.
Their patience was rewarded, and their most sanguine expectations fulfilled through the generosity of Miss C. Staunton and Mr and Mrs Reg Moloney, who presented a beautiful life-size marble statue of Our Lord and His Holy Cross.
This noble work of art, designed and executed by an eminent master - Signor Docchi, of Florence - was ordered early in 1939, but owing to the disturbed state of Europe it only reached its destination in August last. The work of ereceting the statue was entrusted to Messrs. Melocco Bros. and Mr. T.H. Tyrrell. Standing on a pedestal of Gosford sandstone at the main entrance it offers a striking religious appearance by its grace and dignity.
On Sunday, September 22, within the octave of the feast of the Holy Cross, the statue was blessed by the Very Rev. Fr. E. Gell, P.P., in the presence of a large gathering of parents and friends.
After the ceremony, Father Gell congratulated the Brothers and the donors on acquiring such an appropriate symbol for Holy Cross. The principal (Rev. Brother Aloysius), on behalf of the Brothers and students, expressed sincere thanks to Miss Staunton and Mr. and Mrs. Moloney for their munificence towards the College, since they not only donated this beautiful statue but the statues of Our Lady and the Sacred Heart which adorn the main hall [the present entrance to the administration area and they are both still there] were likewise the result of their generosity. To Messrs. A. and P. Melocco Bros., Mr T.H. Tyrrell and Mr. D. Gorman the Brothers are indebted for the carrying out of the work of importing and erecting the statue.